Many commercial contractors who focus on insurance restoration ask me what to look for when hiring a commercial marketing company. Here are a few things I suggest to help you screen out the people who know what they are doing from those who will take your money but will have a hard time delivering actionable results.
- A good knowledge of the commercial roofing industry and the commercial insurance restoration process.
- They understand how to use a hail or storm damage map and understand how to keep you out of areas with no opportunity
- Expertise and knowledge to get past commercial gatekeepers and set face-to-face appointments with decision makers
- Setting the right expectations with property managers and decision makers
- A good track record of success in business. At least 5 years of experience in commercial and insurance restoration marketing.
- Testimonials from other happy commercial roofing contractors
It’s important your marketing company not only sets appointments with decision makers, but they educate property managers about the insurance restoration process. Many property managers may already have their own roofing company, but their roofer may not know anything about how to get a complex commercial insurance claim approved, or maximize the value of a claim. So, it’s important your marketing company understands how to educate the property manager, and position you, that that when your sales person walks through the door, they are set up contractor for success.
The Contingency Agreement:
A good marketer educates the property manager or decision maker on the contingency process and lets them know that if the contractor performs an inspection, there is damage, and the contractor gets the claim approved, the property manager is obligated to work with the contractor. It’s important to set the expectation that if a commercial roofing contractor works hard to get the claim approved, the property manager can’t just turn the job over to another roofing company to perform the work.
This extra attention to detail will lower the contractors risk and greatly increase the contractors’ return on investment.